Monday, 18 July 2011
I want to thank Elke at Elke's Creative Corner for giving me this award and for saying some very nice things about my work on her blog, she is very kind.
So apparently I now have to disclose 7 facts about myself, oh well, here goes.
1. I have been doing paper crafting for about 15 years although I have been doing other crafting things for much longer.
2. Apart from paper crafting I also enjoy embroidery and I trained at the Royal School of Needlework which is located in Hampton Court Palace
3. I used to do a lot of dressmaking and even made my own Wedding Dress. I made most of my Daughters dresses until she was old enough to worry about 'Labels'. I once made 15 Bridesmaid Dresses and 5 pageboy outfits for the same Wedding.
4. I hate cooking unless it is something fancy.
5. I used to breed and show Fancy Rats
6. My Husband and I share our home with a small menagerie of animals, we have a Springer Spaniel, a Maine Coon cat, Fancy Rats, Chinchillas, a Budgie, a Tortoise, Tropical Fish, Chickens and Ducks.
7. What else can I tell you that might be interesting. Oh yes, I used to be a Police Officer!
and now the best bit is that I get to pass the blog award on to 7 other people, so here is my list
Karen at Krafty Karens Blogspot.
Becky at Becky's Craft Adventures
Wendy at Purple Crazy Crafting
Linda at Linda's Cards and Scrapbook Pages
Lez at Hungry Heffy Crafts
Charlie-Louise at Crafty Little Moos
and last but not least
Lesley at Crafty Love n Hugs
All these people have fab blogs and I hope you will hop over to their sites and have a look at their work.
Thursday, 7 July 2011
I was very honored when a friend from church asked me to make a Birthday card for her mother who was going to be celebrating her 100th Birthday. I have not been doing much crafting lately because of poor health but how often do you get the opportunity to make a 100th Birthday card! I suggested a Bookatrix card and my friend was very taken with that idea. She picked out a patterned paper and the colour of the flowers and left the rest to me.
The base layer is Silver Miri card. the next one is the flowered paper my friend choose, the third is a pale lavender glitter card and the last layer is a patterned vellum. The first and third layer have a rope effect peel off along the edge and the second layer has a plain peel off along the edge. I made a flower spray out of the flowers and mounted it on an oval of silver miri cut with a Spellbinders Die. I then separated a large crystal gem swirl and fixed one half to each side of the flower spray. I also used single lavender gems in the corners of the first two layers and a lavender ribbon down the center.
On the other side I put the above poem, I found the original on the web and changed the words a bit to make it suitable for the occasion. I printed it onto velum and fixed it onto the velum layer and edged with these corners that I had in my stash for some time.
I added this extra 'booklet' under the verse for my friend to write on. I edged it with the same rope peel off and the peel off at the top came from the same set as the ones around the verse. This extra booklet also added the weight needed to balance the card.
I made a box for the card to go into and I also made a stand for the card to be displayed on. I edged the stand with the same peel offs as the card to make it match and I added a sentiment above the flowers. My friend was really pleased with the finished card which made my day. Her Mother had a wonderful Birthday and got her card from the Queen but it was not as individual as the one I had made for her lol.